Almost Show Time
The first show in the Healing Ana Concert Series is almost upon us! Local bands The Trapps, Dog on Fleas and the Felice Brothers will be performing and Ana is planning on singing a song as well! The show is on Sunday November 18th – Doors Open at 4:30 (show starts at 5:00) at High Meadow School Performing Arts Center in Stone Ridge. Here are the details.
I’m so excited. You may have heard Jim, Janne (Jim’s mom) or I on the radio this week promoting the show. I want to thank WKNY, WDST and WKZE for donationg air time for Ana’s cause. I also want to thank Janne Dooley, Dean Jones from Dog on Fleas and Sean Schenker and Josh Roy Brown from The Trapps for getting up early to drive to these radio stations and help promote Sunday’s concert.
Here’s a shot of Sean (left) and Josh (right) playing live in the WDST studio.
There was also a wonderful article about Ana published TODAY in the Daily Freeman. Please check it out when you get a chance and my thanks to Paula Ann Mitchell for doing a great job on the piece and Tania Barricklo for taking those amazing pictures. I absolutely love the photo of Ana.
So, I have spoken to a few people and I’m starting to realize that all these posts about the insurance issues we’re having are pretty upsetting. I also meant what I said in last night’s post – I don’t want you to spend time writing to congress or CDPHP about this. It’s just not worth it! I think I really lost site of the real purpose of this blog – to keep you informed of Ana’s health progress and reach out to you for support (not draw you into my own anxiety and anger about insurance companies). So, while I’ll admit it was sort of a release to lash out at Dr. Waldman in my post the other day, it wasn’t exactly fair to him. Thus, I’m taking that post down. I will keep you informed of the insurance stuff, but I’m going to try to keep it short. It’s not that interesting anyway.
So, I’m currently awaiting the final decision from CDPHP about whether or not Ana can stay at Westchester. I should know today or tomorrow. Someone from the New York State Dept. of Financial Services at the governor’s office is involved now, so that may help. My contact there said that she deals with this type of thing with CDPHP all the time and they’re actually one of the better insurance companies, in terms of doing the right thing! Now that’s a scary thought.
We’re moving forward either way! We aren’t going to wait to get Ana started with the consultation process at Columbia. I called them today and they just need one more piece of paper from Dr. Kato for the insurance company and they should be able to schedule Ana for a day full of consultations with various specialists which are part of the transplant team there. Even if they don’t get this paper, they can schedule Ana for a consult with the pediatric hepatologist to get the ball rolling in terms of moving her towards the transplant list. This has actually been going on all week at Columbia and it’s taking a while. I hope to hear back from them today so I can schedule an appointment there either Monday or Wednesday next week. I’ll keep you posted as to that appointment.
Ana is extremely happy to be back at school. She is feeling great and looking healthier. We’re currently weaning her off of the Prednisone – she’s down to 10 mg per day (from 60 mg) and has begun taking Celebrex instead (to treat the inflammatory component of the tumor.) She’s been practicing her song for Sunday’s performance and I know she’s really looking forward to that.
Thank you all for bearing with me through the many insurance-related rants. It does help to unload, but it’s not very productive so I’m just going to to put it to bed. I’ll let you know the outcome as soon as I know – promise!