PICU – Day 5 – 11:15 a.m.
I’d forgotten how much hospitals slow down on weekends. I guess this even applies to PICU’s in large Manhattan hospitals. This morning has gotten off to a slow start. Ana got her labs drawn and her morning ulstrasound, but we are still awaiting the results. Dr. Martinez (the pediatric hepatologist and Dr. Ovchinsky’s partner) came by to check on Ana. No other physicians have been by.
Dr. Martinez feels that Ana is nearly ready to go down to the floor, although the heparin drip has to be stopped because it’s too dangerous (e.g., she’s at a risk for bleeding), so she’ll need to be switched to Lovenox as I’ve mentioned before. She will also need the arterial line removed. This is a special I.V. that is used to monitor blood pressure and blood gas levels. It’s only used in the ICU, so she would automatically get it taken out before going to the floor. They are not sure if there’s a room available for Ana (the hospital is packed), so even if she meets these milestones today, they may have to keep her here.
Ana’s appetite isn’t great and while she is experiencing some pain in her abdomen, it’s not preventing her from moving around and sitting up when needed. She is still sleeping alot, but she does stay awake for longer periods of time and is definitely more “present” when she’s awake – which pretty much means she’s more uncomfortable. Dr. Martinez said that Ana could potentially go home as early as Wednesday. That’s very preliminary! I am doubtful (but hopeful) that it will happen. Even if she’s here another full week – it seems miraculous to me that she would be discharged so soon after transplant. I keep flashing back to the 40 long days at Westchester when it seemed like she’d never get out of there. This is a different experience – it’s a lot more positive and I’m a lot more hopeful, even though I feel like I’m still treading this incredibly fine line of deep worry versus deep relief.