PICU – Day Eight – 5:00 p.m.
Ana is still in the PICU due to the lack of available rooms on the floor. I’ve spoken to Jim several times today and she is doing well. She’s not on I.V. fluids anymore and is eating a bit more. Jim says she’s not really hungry but she’s trying hard to eat and drink as much as possible. She is motivated to get out of there! She has one I.V. remaining which is not hooked up unless she’s getting medication. She’s even bored!
Jim had a BIG scare last night when he woke up in time to see her fall. She had gotten up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and didn’t want to wake him. There are no call buttons in the I.C.U. – theoretically, the patients are too sick to use them and there’s supposed to be a nurse sitting by every room. However, as Ana has gotten better, the nurse assigned to her hasn’t been at her station as much (sometimes they are assigned two patients). So Ana decided to try to get up herself and her legs gave out. She fell right on her stomach. Many doctors have looked at her and said she is fine – including Dr. Kato who said that he’d be concerned with a much harder impact – like if she was involved in a car accident. So, it seems we have found an I.C.U. safety loophole.
So now the entire day has gone by and she’s still doing fine after the fall. She hasn’t had any pain medication (amazing!) The main concern right now is that her belly is still draining and her white blood cell count is still high. The physical therapist was just working with her in the room (at about 5:00 pm) and she got her walking around and now she’s sitting in a chair. She’s apparently not allowed to leave the room because of the RSV virus. She must feel like she’s in prison. Jim says they’re trying to stay busy playing games.
She’s not getting discharged tomorrow. The new estimate is either Thursday or Friday at this point. Jim thinks they’re not going to get her a room before then, but anything can happen I suppose. I plan on going back to the hospital Thursday morning and relieving Jim – but if discharge is looking definite for Friday then I’ll wait until then. It’s hard to believe that a week ago today she was just coming out of surgery.